Things have been quiet on the blogging front over the summer months, not least because all the effort has gone into work on the garden itself. However, now that there is less to do out there, and the weather is often not favourable to working outside, there is a bit more time to report the progress that has been made in recent months. Many thanks to Elke for this update – she has done most of the work in the garden too!
Full steam ahead – the long overdue update!
A lot has happened since the last post to the Seed & Feed blog that was dated 9 Apr 2015.
For a few months, things moved rather slowly at the Centre. I started off some more seeds in containers due to the fact that the ground was so very shallow at many places. Some donations of plants were made as well and I tried to accommodate them as well as possible, putting them either in the ground or in other containers.
Sadly, Mike’s health hasn’t improved and he had to stop helping out at the project in a practical way. [I live in hope, and want to get along there to see the improvements for myself].
My attendance became a bit irregular over the summer but I tried to look after the growing plants and vegetables as well as possible until it was time to harvest them. Out best bits were the carrots and some onions (which were more like the size of those you see in the picked onion jars in shops).
From October, things started to pick up with the arrival of Sam, a young lady who is very much into gardening. She found out about the project from Donna and joined early in the month. Sam is very creative and hands-on, just what we needed. She is living locally and is hoping to find some more people that might be interested in helping the project.
Donna (and I think Peta) had been in touch with people from the Princes Trust in order to enlist some help to clear the grounds, get some raised beds made, put up the tool shed, create a herb garden and a memorial corner in memory of people that had come and helped at the Centre over the years but have passed away. On 11 November, Donna, Sam and I met with a group of young people to give them a passionate outline of the project and its aims. The group had three projects to choose from and we were to find out about their final choice on 13 November. We kept our expectations very low – but were rewarded with the message “We’re afraid we’ve got sad news: you’ve got to put up with us for two weeks!” Friday the 13th isn’t really always a bad day!
This morning, Donna and I have been present, planning tasks and required supplies with the group at the Centre on the first day of their two weeks. I’m hoping to get some photo consent so I can post further progress updates.
Thanks Elke for the update, and for all you have been doing – the site is transformed from when I last saw it, let alone how it was before the project started. Strength to the arms of all team, and many thanks for all the good work.